THE NEW JERSEY BARTENDER

Information on New Jersey’s Attorney Disciplinary System

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Milford re-enacts its “Attorney Accountability Ordinance.”  

Click HERE for more information.

 

Curious procedures at the Disciplinary Review Board.  

Click HERE for more information.

 

Donate to improve this site.  

                      Donations will be used solely to purchase copies of disciplinary records

                           and to fund lawsuits when access to requested records is denied.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know that only about 5% of grievances filed against lawyers with the New Jersey attorney discipline system are made public?  The remaining 95% of ethics grievances remain secret forever.  They are dismissed, declined or diverted, behind closed doors, by the lawyers who run the system.  Can we trust a lawyer-run government agency to hold other lawyers accountable?

·        Click HERE for more information on how we calculate the 5% figure.

·        Got a problem with an attorney or the system?  Click HERE to for our interactive forum.

·        Click HERE  for upcoming meetings, street fairs and other events.

 


A list of New Jersey lawyers who have been formally charged with or sanctioned for ethics violations or who have otherwise been the subject of action by the New Jersey Supreme Court.

Updated:

April 4, 2008

Compiled from the following source documents:

Office of Attorney Ethics Discipline Reports: January 1, 1995 through December 30, 2007

Office of Attorney Ethics Statewide Public Hearing Lists: March 31, 1995 through March 31, 2008

Thinking of hiring a lawyer?

Want to check up on your town's judge, prosecutor or other attorney/official?

Or, are you just interested in learning more about the attorney discipline process in New Jersey?

(Remember, except for the entries marked with an "S" code, these are only accusations, nothing has been proven)

 

 

 

INSTRUCTIONS

o        An overview of the ethics process

o        How to use the New Jersey Bartender

o        The RPCs – the rules that lawyers must live by

o        Contact information for ethics officials

o        Links to official and secondary sources

o        A word of caution

o        A special word for attorneys

LISTS AVAILABLE

o        New entries since the last update

o        The Bartender List - sorted by attorney name

o        Entries with full text of documents

o        Excel file of the data—do your own sorts (in PKZIP)

o        Legal Malpractice Lawyers  

ISSUES RAISED TO ETHICS AUTHORITIES

o        Click here for questions and issues regarding the disciplinary system submitted by CJNJ

NEWS AND VIEWS ON THE ETHICS SYSTEM

o        Briefs and court decisions regarding the validity of West Milford Township’s “Attorney Accountability Ordinance.”

o        Briefs and the New Jersey Supreme Court’s decision in R.M. v. Supreme Court, which struck down NJ’s attorney discipline “gag rule.”

o        The Bartender and the Barrister: A Commentary, by Shaun D. Mullen (2004)

o        CJNJ member sues the NJ Supreme Court over the “gag rule.”(2003)

o        The Daughter’s Nightmare: an investigative reporter’s critique of the Disciplinary System (2003)

o        CJNJ takes aim at the disciplinary system’s practice of improperly declining grievances (2000)

o        A state senator’s son fares remarkably well in Bridgewater Municipal Court (1997)

 

MEETING MINUTES FROM THE DISCIPLINARY OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE

 

o        March 13, 2002

o        June 27, 2002

o        October 2, 2002

o        January 9, 2003

o        March 19, 2003 

o        June 18, 2003 

o        September 17, 2003

o        December 15, 2003

o        March 17, 2004

o        June 16, 2004

o        September 15, 2004

DOWNLOADABLE FORMS

o        Official attorney ethics grievance form

o        Hearing notification form

CONTACT US

o        Contact information

REGISTER TO BE NOTIFIED OF FUTURE UPDATES

Enter your email here à      :
Powered by: MessageBot